Jefferson County Attorney
51 West Hempstead Avenue
Fairfield, IA 52556
Contact via Email
Visit our Website
- Legal representation
- State law prosecutions
- County ordinance prosecutions
Hours of OperationMonday - Friday: 8:00am-4:30pm
Our County Attorney is the legal advisor and chief law enforcement officer for your county.
The Jefferson County Attorney's Office is responsible for prosecuting all state criminal misdemeanors and felonies that occur in Jefferson County. It is also responsible for enforcing county ordinances and other state laws that apply to Jefferson County.
The County Attorney DOES:
- Prosecute all violations of state criminal laws and county ordinances.
- Provide legal advice to the Board of Supervisors and county and township officers concerning county matters.
- Represent and defend the state, county and its officers in officially related cases.
- Recover all monies (debts, fines, penalties, etc.) owing to the state or county.
- Present all mental health commitment proceedings and all juvenile delinquency and child in need of assistance cases.
- There are both full-time and part-time County Attorneys in Iowa. Roughly two-thirds of all County Attorneys are part-time and may handle private legal work in addition to their official duties.
The Jefferson County Attorney is a full time County Attorney and DOES NOT:
- Give legal advice to or represent private groups or persons.
- File lawsuits for private persons or defend them against lawsuits, including actions for dissolution of marriage.
- Prepare wills, deeds or other legal documents for private individuals.
Call our office at 641-472-9201